Thursday, 7 November 2013

An excerpt...

In a moment of madness last Friday I signed up to #NaNoWriMo.  To be honest, progress is on the slow side.  But in an effort to get myself reinvigorated with it, I thought I would share an excerpt from Chapter 1 for Prose for Thought over at VeViVos.  

Any criticism/encouragement welcome, and if you see me faffing about on twitter in the coming weeks please do tell me off and tell me to get back to writing.

----------------------

Ellie turned on to her side and pulled the warm duvet up around her ears so as to muffle the sound of his breathing.  She had been awake since the rumble of the first trains had gone by, softly rousing the house from it’s dark, peaceful sleep.  The sun was starting to poke through from behind the edges of the blinds.  In a few moments the alarm would sound, and Ellie would no longer be alone in her thoughts, but would instead be brought back to reality by his arm landing heavily around her waist, as it did every morning at precisely 7.15am.

She could always get up she told herself, knock the alarm off before it rings.  Yet she just couldn’t bring herself to crawl from beneath the covers a moment before she had to.  That’s why Ellie was in the situation she found herself in now; she didn’t much like change, and she didn’t feel she had the courage to try to face it.  So instead she settled back into her thoughts for a few more precious moments, the thoughts that took her places she dare not go in real life.  Places of adventure and passion; of wreckless romance and heart racing excitement.  The same places she would dream of as a child, as a teenager; places that seemed within reach back then, before life got in the way.

As predicted the alarm rang just moments later.  It would take three 'beeps' before he would groan, reach over to turn the alarm off, then pull her awkwardly to him.  

Beep. One.

Beep. Two.

Beep. Thr....

“Urgh, not yet surely?” Mark croaked as he knocked the alarm off, causing it to fall from the bedside table in the process.  

She braced herself as his hot arm landed unceremoniously on her hip.  She stayed motionless whilst he dozed behind her, pinning her to him like a badge of honour.  If she tried to get up too soon, it would cause offence, and if she left it too late he would take it as a sign for something more.  Timing was everything in extricating herself from him.  She closed her eyes and waited.

---------------------

Prose for Thought

Post Comment Love

13 comments:

  1. Oh this was a disturbing read for me. Of course it is out of context but I felt that Ellie was in a very bad situation indeed. I did nanowrimo last year, was great fun. Wrote a dreadful YA book. Nearly did it again this year, maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great opener! Sounds very intriguing....I've heard a lot about this NaNoWriMo. Is this writing part of a book every day? Well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual your knack for suspense comes shining through. You've got me hooked already! Well done on a brilliant beginning! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - you had me hooked there all the way til the end! I really want to read more - a very strong opening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great, sounds really fascinating… Would definitely be interested to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will certainly be telling you off for faffing about on Twitter as I am intrigued and so want to read more... Fab piece hun x #prose4t

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Stephanie, this brings back disturbing memories for me. Please get her out of there! Can I subscribe to your NaNoWriMo novel? You can send me what you have written every day and I'll tell you off if you don't send anything!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, brilliant - please write more! In your usual fashion, you have me hooked already :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way you write, you always suck me in and its no different here. What a great beginning, can't wait to read more. Well done lovely, a fabulous read :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your commitment! And this is a great piece - as usual, you give a clear, realistic and compelling picture of the internal workings of the character's mind. I'd love to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fantastic first start (is it first, i'm not sure, but if it is, its brilliant as its got me hooked!). Tell me more about NaNoWriMo - I'm guessing just the same as Suzanne. Its a place to start writing instalments of a novel/story? Anyway, keep it up. I'm hanging on for the next instalment.....and Im wondering if its really all Mark's fault, or acutally what's going on in Ellie's mind...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Off to a cracking start... :). A number of friends from my writing group have signed up for NaNoWriMo (not me - I'm FAR too inconsistent!), and there seem lots of opportunities for local meetups/workshops, as well as area 'sponsors' who have done it in the past and can offer advice/feedback. I hope you're finding those resources in your area too. First rule of NaNoWriMo seems to be 'don't edit - just get the thing written.' Good advice for any writing project, I think, and wish I could take it myself. Let's face it, the brilliant, bestselling second draft can't happen without the dodgy first take. #Prose4T

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so over the moon that you have chosen to do NaNoWriMo - I am full of admiration for your writing and this sounds exactly like the sort of idea I have for a book (if it is the route I think you are going down). I have some much smaller ideas for books in me for children aged 2 to 5 and am in the process of starting to put them together as a series. I love this - I would really like to read it when its done. I will get round to joining NaNoWriMo myself at some point in the future. Good luck with it and thanks for sharing to both my linkys, a complete honour x

    ReplyDelete