Thursday, 25 July 2013

Lavender - How Does Your Garden Grow?

Just below our decking, facing the sun all day long, sits a sea of Lavender.



It is always alive with the sound of bees.







The Lavender nestles into the ever-growing Rosemary bush just behind it, creating a most incredible mix of fragrance.

And poppies, now in pod, hide amidst the tall flowers.



Lavender is renowned for it's calming, soothing, properties.  If I've had a difficult or stressful day, you can often find me brushing the head of a Lavender flower, or one of the leaves, on my wrists, taking the relaxing scent with me as a perfume.

In medieval times they used to scatter Lavender flowers on the floor in houses, so as people walked on it they would crunch it, releasing the smell.  A medieval air freshener!

The smell also transports me back to my Grandma's house, and her dressing table with Lavender talc - the sort that used to come in a huge pot with a powder puff.  I would often sneak upstairs to put some of it on me, desperately trying to make sure I left no white powdered evidence on the table top; I don't think I ever managed it!  And even after all these years the smell of Lavender takes me straight back to nestling into her arms wrapped around me as a child.





Lavender; pretty, alive, calming, evocative, timeless.

Linking up today with Helvetica Handmade for 'How Does Your Garden Grow?'

Helvetia Handmade

22 comments:

  1. I love the sight of lavender and bees, and these photos are very pretty. I don't have any in my garden yet, but I'll certainly be getting some in the redesign. You've inspired me to have it as I think it'd make a nice 'border' for our wildlife garden. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, do - the bees and butterflies just love it, and you can do so much with Lavender! x

      Delete
  2. Brilliant photos, amazing capture of the bees wings beating. Lavender is such an amazing scent to have in the garden, and the wonderful insects it brings. Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - that photo is one of my favourites too! Thanks for hosting x

      Delete
  3. Amazing shot of the bee's wings in motion and such lovely lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lavender is one of my absolute favourites, it is so pretty, and I adore the smell. But for me, the main reason is that is reminds me of my grandmother too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's very special and quite amazing how a fragrance can bring back such vivid memories xx

      Delete
  5. how beautiful!! i bet it smells heavenly. you can also make lavender tea and lavender sachets for inside your drawers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I keep meaning to make lavender sachets, and this is the year to do it I think! Thank you xx

      Delete
  6. Oh, I wish I could grow lavender! I don't seem to have the knack for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no :( I'm like that with Rocket - can't seem to grow it for love nor money! x

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous photos and very interesting to hear about the memories of your grandmother that it stirs in you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Funny how we make associations of certain things to certain people isn't it? xx

      Delete
  8. I adore Lavender, I have French and English, but my French one died Sacre Bleu! I dry mine most years in huge bunches hung upside down, I have some that I did about 3 years ago that still smell.
    I absolutely love the moving shot of the Bee, how brilliant it looks. Another fabulous post Mrs S :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh mon dieu! How sad! Yes we have a bunch drying in the kitchen at the moment. I'm sort of torn about cutting it down just now as the bees love it so much. xx

      Delete
  9. What beautiful Lavender - its flowering so beautifully as well. And look at all those bees!!! Fabulous words and photos as always lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charly, what a lovely thing to say. I do love our Lavender x

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous photos, and I love that border - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's one of my favourites x

      Delete
  11. I just love lavender so much.... have lots of it in my garden... it is so pretty and calming. Just love the photo with the bee's wings - just amazing! :o).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes it's so very calming. And thank you for the compliment on the photograph. *Whispers* I'm quite proud of that one! x

    ReplyDelete