Monday, 25 March 2013

#MagicMoments

This #MagicMoment happened a few months ago; pre-blog! It is a magical moment I'd like to share with you - please bear with me as there is a little back-story..

I was driving to an appointment one autumnal morning, and had just turned out of our road when I spotted a car stationary in the middle of the road.  The passenger door was open and an elderly man was leaning in the doorway, and I could see a pair of legs from the knees down on the floor behind the open door.  

Cars were passing by, but I slowed and saw him turn to look at me with such fear that I stopped immediately.  At first I thought his legs had buckled underneath him, but as I got out of my car and ran across to him he was in fact holding his wife, who had passed out and who was dead weight.  She was as white as sheet, and he look terrified.

I helped him move her onto the side of the road - and goodness me she was such a weight despite being small in frame.  He said she had passed out getting into the car and had been like that for several minutes.  Poor man - no-one had stopped to help.  I rang the ambulance while we both held her and talked all the symptoms through with the lady on the phone while the ambulance got to us.  He was in no state to speak himself.

When the paramedics arrived they took over holding the lady, while I wrapped a blanket around the gentleman and talked to him to try to distract from what the paramedics were doing.  I told him my first name, and pointed to the street I lived on.  I asked him what he used to do for a living..anything to try to keep him 'with us' as he was in such shock.  

Another ambulance arrived and it became clear after a while that there were enough people to look out for him, and I was no longer needed, so I gave him a hug and wished him well.

For weeks afterwards I wondered what happened to the lady and that lovely gentleman.  I kicked myself for not having the forethought to ring A&E and ask, or giving him my name and number.

Here's the magical part....a couple of months after the incident there was a knock at the door.  I opened it and found the gentleman and lady on my doorstep.  He had remembered my name, and gone to search for me on the electoral roll.  There were, it turns out, three people with my name on our road, and he had tried the other two.  This was his last chance.  He had spent weeks tracking me down.

In their hands they carried this beautiful plant for me:



The lady told me I had saved her life, and thanked me for helping her husband, who, she told me had been so very very shaken up by the experience.

How magical is that?  I hadn't done it for reward - it had been instinctive - and I was so very very touched they had gone to all that effort to find me.  I did very little really, but it made me so much more aware and respectful of those amazing paramedics who do this sort of thing every day.  

For more magic moments go to the lovely theoliversmadhouse and why not share yours?




18 comments:

  1. Aw that is lovely. My Grandma used to always say 'kindness will always be rewarded'. I know we don't do these things to be recognised or rewarded but isnt it nice when things like that happen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, and totally unnecessary! Just so lovely to know that they were both ok xx Thank you for reading and commenting xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post! I think that sometimes we are prompted to do these 'acts of kindness' and we can choose to carry them through or not. Well done you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, that's so true. Thank you for reading xx

      Delete
  3. a really lovely post, so sweet they came to find you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - how lovely of them to go to so much trouble xx

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous story. A magical moment indeed, when they came to find you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Thank you for reading and commenting xx

      Delete
  5. OMG this is just an amazing post and and amazing #magicmoment Well done you for stopping when so many others didnt!

    Thank you so much for linking up with #magicmoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for hosting such a great link. So many magical moment this time :)) xx

      Delete
  6. That's so sweet of them to track you down x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very sweet of them. Thank you for reading xx

      Delete
  7. That is lovely! How very lucky they both were to have you passing by that day. And how wonderful that they remembered and came and found you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was so kind of them to go to so much trouble to find me xx

      Delete
  8. It really is terrific when that kind of event finishes like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thanks for reading xx

      Delete
  9. That's a wonderful story! Kudos to you for being there to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Right place, right time, I guess :)) xx

      Delete